Calypso is not dead, old men calypso still reigns.
The winner of the 2013 Calypso Monarch competition was the Pink Panther. Last night I layed and the couch and listened to 24 calypsos. In all honesty a few of them had me nodding. I listened to hear if calypso was really dying.
Yesterday I predicted that Kurt Allen would win and I was almost right, he almost won. He was the second runner up. I was also right about Duane O’Conner who rode the waves of victory last year, this year he got dumped on the beach. He did not stand a chance.
Kurt, was good but even being a friend and a fan, the Panthers left him in the dust. It was a deserved win. Both renditions were relevant and pick at the souls of Trinbagonians with lyrics that were, humorous, satirical, melodious and hard hitting. Both presentations were right on point.
Here are the results.1. Eric "Pink Panther" Taylor - Travel Woes/Crying In The Chapel
2. Kurt Allen - Political Sin Phony/Black Stalin Say
3. Heather MacIntosh - The Old Man's Lament/Invisible
4. Roderick "Mr Chucky" Gordon - Bear With Me/The New Addiction
5. Karene Asche - Meh Pardna Ship/Eat Ah Food
6. Eunice Peters - None Of The Above/Keshorn D Javelin Champion
7. Duanne O'Connor - Building A Wall/ Seeking Sparrow's Advice
8. Alana Sinnette Khan - No Moral Authority/Pathological
9. Dr Hollis "Chalkdust" Liverpool - Prodigal Son/Virginia's Alzheimer
10. Kizzie Ruiz - In The Age Of Blog/T And T Forever
11. Marva "Marvelous Marva" Joseph - Come Back To What/Woman's Contribution To Trinidad And Tobago
12. Victoria "Queen Victoria" Cooper - D Betrayal/Club 34
Come back for more when we give a critique of the competition.